Singapore’s population is in boom, making the demand for larger homes continues to grow. But the price of residential spaces in Singapore continues to rise too. If you have a large family and need a larger space, an ideal but still affordable option is to purchase a jumbo flat which you may get under $850,000.
Jumbo flats can offer so much in terms of value for money and investment potential. However, they are rare to find as HDB stopped building these types. Still, you may find them in resale markets of find one through the HDB conversion scheme.
If you are a first time buyer and want to know everything about jumbo flats, including benefits and how you can own one, read on!
HDB Flats vs. HDB Jumbo Flats
Let’s take a quick look at the key differences between HDB flats and jumbo flats so that you can better understand what each type of housing offers.
|HDB Flats||Jumbo Flats|
Jumbo Flats are HDB flats that are larger in size compared to standard HDB flats. In essence, they are two adjacent flats or HDB units combined to create a larger one. Typically, it has a built-up area between 1,500 to over 2,000 square feet that can accommodate larger families or multi-generational households.
The following features characterize HDB jumbo flats:
- Spacious living areas
- High ceilings
- Modern kitchens
- Luxurious finishes and amenities such as pools, spas, and fitness centers
- 24-hour security systems
Jumbo flats are rare and are generally available at high resale values due to the larger size and higher demand. Jumbo flats are also mostly located in high-end neighborhoods and are popular among families, professionals, and retirees who want to live in a luxurious and spacious environment.
HDB Flats, on the other hand, are public housing units provided by the HDB and where 80% of the residential population live. They are designed to be affordable and accessible to the majority of Singaporeans.
Advantages and Risks of Owning a Jumbo HDB Units
Jumbo HDB flats are more significant in size than standard HDB flats and come with unique advantages and risks. Below are some of the benefits and potential drawbacks of owning a jumbo HDB flat to help you decide whether this type of housing is right for you.
Advantages of Owning a Jumbo HDB Flat:
Space and More Value for Money
The main advantage of owning a jumbo HDB flat is that it provides a good balance between providing more space at an excellent value for money.
Higher Resale Value
Jumbo flats in Singapore are rare and may be priced higher than standard HDB flats of the same type.
Better Quality of Life
Jumbo HDB flat can provide a better quality of life for residents, as they have more room for activities, recreation, and storage.
Risks of Owning a Jumbo HDB Flat:
Higher Unit Cost
One of the main risks of owning a jumbo HDB flat is the higher cost. Jumbo HDB flats are generally priced higher than a regular HDB unit, so you may have to pay more upfront or have higher monthly mortgage payments.
Higher Maintenance Costs
With more space, a jumbo HDB flat may also have higher maintenance costs, such as higher utility bills, cleaning, and repair costs.
Difficulty of Reselling
As jumbo HDB flats are rarer, they may be more difficult to sell when you decide to move, especially if you have specific needs for the size or type of unit.
Jumbo Flats Locations
Jumbo flats are highly priced for their extra space and unique features and their locations can sometimes be limited. These flats are typically located in high-end neighborhoods, offering access to shopping areas, restaurants, malls and other entertainment venues. To find jumbo flats, check out the resale market and some of these locations:
- Ang Mo Kio
- Bukit Merah
- Jurong East
- Toa Payoh
Can you take an HDB Loan for Jumbo Flats?
Jumbo flats are considered a type of HDB flat, so they are eligible for HDB loans provided by the Housing and Development Board (HDB). However, HDB loans are only available to Singaporeans and Permanent Residents purchasing a new HDB flat or refinancing an existing HDB loan.
To be eligible for an HDB loan, you must meet specific eligibility criteria, such as income and citizenship requirements. You must also use the loan to purchase a flat approved by HDB.
Suppose you are not eligible for an HDB loan; your next best option is a bank home loan. Check out the table below for a quick comparison:
|HDB Loan||Home Loan|
|Is only available for Singaporeans and Permanent Residents purchasing a new HDB flat or refinancing an existing HDB loan.||Open to Singaporeans, Permanent Residents, and foreigners purchasing property, including HDB flats.|
|It can only be used to buy a new HDB flat or to refinance an existing HDB loan.||Flexible and can be used to buy a wide range of properties.|
|Typically has lower interest rates compared to a home loan.||Interest rates can vary and may be higher than HDB loan interest rates.|
|Loan amount is capped at 90% of the flat’s purchase price or valuation, whichever is lower.||The loan amount can be higher, depending on the property and the lender’s policies.|
|Has a repayment period of up to 25 years.||The repayment period can be longer, up to 30 years or more.|
A Quick Guide to Buying a Jumbo Flat
If you are planning to buy a jumbo flat, there are several steps you can take to make the process as smooth as possible. Here are five quick steps:
- Research: Start your research early by checking out the resale market and neighborhoods and areas where jumbo flats are available. You should also compare the amenities, features, prices, and loaning options.
- Determine your budget: This step saves you time by checking out only jumbo flat units that are within your budget. It will also avoid getting you into debt or put a strain on your finances
- Get pre-approved for a loan: This step will help you get an idea on how much you can borrow and afford on mortgages.
- Get a real estate agent: An experienced agent could help you find properties quicker and guide you through the whole buying process.
- Inspect the property: This step will ensure that it is in good condition to avoid any unexpected costs or repairs down the line.
Quick FAQ Section on Jumbo Flats
1. Can you Create your Own Jumbo HDB Flat?
Yes! You can make your own jumbo flat through the HDB conversion scheme. This conversion scheme is available to qualified buyers who submit an application requesting permission to join two existing flats together. However, you should meet one of the following conditions:
- You presently own a 3-room (or smaller) HDB flat and want to purchase the 3-room (or smaller) adjoining your unit.
- You currently do not own a flat and would like to purchase two adjoining 3-room (or smaller) HDB resale flats.
2. Is a Jumbo Flat Worth Buying?
Whether a jumbo flat is worth buying depends on your circumstances and needs. Some factors to consider include cost and maintenance, living space, location, and resale value.
3. How Many People can Stay in a Jumbo Flat?
LIke 4-room HDB flats and larger units, the number of people who can stay in a jumbo flat is capped at six people. It is important to note that while the size of the flat may accommodate more people, the maximum number of occupants allowed by the HDB is aligned to the occupancy cap for private residential properties of all sizes.
4. Can I Buy a Jumbo HDB?
Yes, you can buy a jumbo HDB flat in Singapore through HDB’s Sale of Balance Flats (SBF) exercise or through resale transactions. However, you must be eligible to make by meeting the following criteria:
- Must be a Singapore citizen or a Permanent Resident
- Aged at least 21
- Have a minimum household income that is within the eligibility limit set by the HDB
- Must not already own any other property, either locally or overseas.
- Must form a family nucleus with your immediate family members living with you in the flat.
Read Also: How to Refinance HDB Loan to Bank Loan
Owning a jumbo flat with ample space, luxurious amenities, and a solid investment opportunity. Still, before making any investment decisions, you must consider all factors, including your financial goals, risk tolerance, and market conditions.
- Jumbo flats can appeal to families with growing needs or those looking for more room.
- Jumbo flats are considered a type of HDB flat, so they are eligible for HDB loans provided by the HDB.
- HDB loans are only available to Singaporeans and Permanent Residents purchasing a new HDB flat or refinancing an existing HDB loan.
- Buying a jumbo HDB flat is a significant investment, and it is essential to consider your financial situation and make an informed decision carefully.
- Seek the advice of a real estate professional or financial advisor to help guide you through buying a jumbo HDB flat.
Need access to a personal loan fast? With Instant Loan, you can save time and compare quotes with ease. Visit our website and get three loan quotes from only the best and most trusted banks in Singapore today!