Staking and Proof of Stake are two new technologies that have been introduced to the cryptocurrency market to help verify transactions more secure and faster. In this blog post, we will explore what staking and proof of stake are and how they benefit the cryptocurrency market.
What is Crypto Staking?
Staking is a term that is used for a certain type of Proof of Work system. In the staking system, the crypto investors that put their money in the staking pool will get a chance to mine for coins. Everyone within the staking pool will receive rewards. Staking rewards will usually be in the form of coins, which could lead to a substantial amount of coins in the future.
How Does Staking Work?
This can be done by using a mining rig or a computer that is capable of mining. Proof of stake is a type of system that is used to verify blocks. This system is different from Proof of Work because the person who owns the coins makes the final decision. In the Proof of Work system, the decision is made by a computer. The Proof of Stake system is also used in the cryptocurrency world and it is used to verify blocks. Think of it as the safer form of investing in crypto assets rather than holding them directly in crypto wallet exchanges.
Find out more on the best crypto exchange in Singapore.
A Step-by-step Guide: How to Start Staking Your Crypto
In order to do this, you have to put your coins up for the staking process. Staking your coins allows you to earn more coins by providing them with a higher chance of being selected in the next block of the blockchain.
However, not every blockchain technology allows staked tokens yet. In fact, only a set of tokens allow it including Cardano, Ethereum, and Solana. Some blockchains have their own specific staking platform while others let you do so in particular digital asset apps like the popular exchanges.
Follow these basic steps to begin your staking investment:
Step 1: Download the necessary wallet software. There are a lot of different wallets available for a variety of coins. For example, if you want to stake Ethereum tokens, you would need the MetaMask Chrome extension. You will also need to create an Ethereum wallet.
Step 2: Create a new wallet address. This address will be the address you will use to stake your tokens.
Step 3: Start staking your tokens. You will need to keep the wallet open, and the wallet will take care of the rest.
Step 4: Wait for the blockchain to be updated. After the update is complete, you will see a balance change in your wallet.
You do this by securing them in a wallet that requires you to put up a certain stake of your cryptocurrencies in order to use it. This is different than investing. With investing, you put your money into an exchange or a company, and the company handles your money and you don’t have to do anything else. With crypto staking, your cryptocurrencies are on your computer and are secured using your power.
How to Stake Crypto
In order to stake a cryptocurrency, users need to keep their cryptocurrency in a wallet that supports staking. Most major cryptocurrencies have their own staking wallet, but the process is similar for any cryptocurrency. The wallet has a set of deposit addresses that can be used to send cryptocurrency to the wallet.
1. Research for Staking Rewards
Some platforms may provide better staking rewards than others, but it is ultimately up to you on which exchange or wallet you want to stake in. Most exclusive wallets like Atomic, Divi, and Ethereum have their own staking pools but Exodus, Kraken, Binance, and Coinbase have their own as well.
2. Pick a Pool
This can be from the most popular choices like Ethereum and Litecoin to more obscure yet potential kinds including Divi or Enjin. Each pool has its own unique rewards but remembers to choose the one that you think has the best and most helpful technology that provides benefits for the future of society.
Each pool comes with its number of members, the number of minimum tokens to stake, and the supported tokens it allows.
It’s riskier to stake tokens based on hype alone like Shiba than staking tokens where their technology improves the infrastructure of blockchains. Always do your research before staking: check the minimum stake, time for lock-up deposits, proof of stake model, and rewards.
3. Do Not Forget Your Username and Password
Crypto wallets use a more unique kind of logins. To keep everything safe, make sure to store the provided key password on a sheet of paper and store it where you can easily access it but difficult for others. You will never know when you’ll need it.
What is Proof of Stake?
Proof of Stake is a consensus mechanism of securing a cryptocurrency network. In a Proof of Stake algorithm, a cryptocurrency holder can stake their coins and earn interest based on the amount of coins they hold. The more coins a coin holder has, the more interest they earn. The interest earned is paid in the cryptocurrency itself.
Proof of Stake is considered to be more environmentally friendly than Proof of Work because it doesn’t use up a huge amount of electricity or computational power. Proof of Stake is easier to scale as well because it can be done by anyone with a computer and internet connection. Proof of Stake is also more secure because it relies on coin holders to maintain the network.
What are the Benefits of Staking?
Proof of stake is a consensus algorithm that is used by cryptocurrencies. It is the alternative to proof of work. The algorithm is based on the concept of validators and the investment they make in order to maintain the blockchain.
It’s a way of increasing your cryptocurrency holdings safely without the need for dangerous trades. In fact, more people are preferring cryptocurrency staking to mining because of the ease of use for everybody and the ability to harvest coins without requiring a mining rig.
- Stress-free crypto investment. Compared to hard-trading in an exchange, you only need to “set and forget” when you stake. Once you place your stakes, you can just leave it there and come back 6 to 24 months later to see how it matured.
- The better alternative to mining. Staking got more popular due to its proficiency in harvesting tokens without the need for a power PC mining rig.
- Safer for the environment. You may have seen the 2017 news about how PC miners are extracting too much electric energy and how it is damaging the ecosystem. Since staking only needs you to lay down money, the Proof of Stake method significantly reduces the required energy needed to extract coins and tokens.
- Safer than intraday trading. Staking crypto allows you to have better ease of mind – a long-term form of investment rather than just leaving the coins within an exchange or wallet.
- Plenty of rewards. The staking rewards alone should prove enough that crypto staking has better benefits than buying coins directly since the interest rates alone scale with how much you invest.
Risks of Staking Crypto
Cryptocurrency is an increasingly popular way to invest in the market. There are many benefits of investing in cryptocurrencies, and one of the most obvious is the potential for a high return on investment. However, there are also some risks involved with investing in cryptocurrencies.
- Volatility. Because cryptocurrencies are so volatile and the market can be unpredictable, the potential for losses is very high.
- Not doing your research. You may also be at risk of being scammed or having your personal information stolen. Furthermore, there is the risk of buying a cryptocurrency that is not worth the time, effort, and money. Check what happened to the Squid Game token rug pull.
- Investing in a coin based on hype only. There is a risk of getting caught up in the hype of the market and investing in something that doesn’t have a real future.
- Penalties for withdrawing prematurely. Another problem with staking is it works like a mutual fund or a time deposit since you cannot withdraw your money within specific lock-up periods until at least 3 months. Even so, you get penalized for pulling out your money before the value matures. Crypto traders go against this type of method since they prefer intraday or weekly exchanges.
When You Should or Shouldn’t Stake Crypto
If the idea of putting your money in a technology that has the potential to either rise in unbelievable profits or crash just like the dot com bubble more than 20 years ago, then staking in crypto shouldn’t be for you. After all, part of the design of blockchain networks includes needing you to show your support through storing your money in crypto pools.
If you are okay with investing your money for a long term within fixed months or years, then crypto staking should be up your alley – especially since the staking rewards include interest rates and bonus tokens besides the ones you invested in. Once you stake crypto coins, it stays there for a long time. Should you wish to pull them out prematurely, the withdrawal will result in a lower cash-out than when you initially deposited.
You shouldn’t go for crypto staking if your intention is to do short to medium-term holding. In fact, there’s quite a bias when you do crypto staking since that means entrusting your money in a technology that may or may not come out successful in the future. We only recommend it if you have excess money to burn.
Find more about the crypto and fear and greed index before starting your investment journey!
Crypto staking is a safer method of earning coins and tokens compared to mining with a powerful and expensive computer rig. Think of it as crypto time deposits except it have staking rewards that have better rates than your average bank.
That said, the consensus mechanism of staking produces environmentally cleaner results than hard-mining the coins. If you want to play with your money on cryptocurrency with the least risk, go ahead and try out staking.
- Crypto staking is considered the safest way to store tokens and earn profits
- The proof of stake model for each blockchain comes in different forms
- Staking requires a lot of money before you can even join the pool
- Staked tokens stay in the pool for a fixed period of time unlike storing them in crypto exchanges that you can remove at any time
- A staking platform may come as a crypto exchange or a direct wallet of a specific coin.
Need a loan? Get help from Instant Loan. With a few clicks, we can connect you with the best licensed moneylenders in Singapore. Talk to us today and get three free loan quotes from us!