The Standard Chartered MANHATTAN World Mastercard is one of the more attractive cashback credit cards in Singapore. Cardholders can earn up to a 3% cash rebate as long as they meet the minimum spending requirement of S$3,000. However, because of the high minimum spend requirement, it is best for high spenders.
What is a Standard Chartered MANHATTAN Credit Card?
With the Standard Chartered MANHATTAN World Mastercard, you can earn up to S$800 cashback per year. Just make sure to hit the minimum spending requirement of S$3,000. Eligible transactions include local and overseas transactions – both online and offline.
On top of that, this cashback card also allows you to enjoy up to 20% savings on your monthly fuel purchase. This promotion is valid till December 2021.
This credit card is best for high spenders or family breadwinners.
- Earn up to 3% cashback on eligible purchases, including shopping, dining, and entertainment, charged on your card.
- Earn the maximum cash rebates if you spend S$3,000 and above. Maximum cashback earned per quarter is capped at S$200.
- There’s an annual fee of S$192.60, but it is waived for the first year.
- Get cash instantly at 0% interest at a one-time processing fee.
- Pay big purchases or manage your finances with Standard Chartered’s 0% interest installment plan.
- Tap-and-Pay payment on any contactless sales terminal. No signature is required for purchases less than S$100.
Pros and Cons of the MANHATTAN Credit Card – Cashback Rewards, Annual Fee, and Minimum Spend Requirement
- Earn up to S$800 cashback per year: If you hit the minimum spending requirement of S$3,000, you can earn up to 3% cashback on eligible purchases.
- Save on S192.60 annual fee in the first year: Enjoy a generous annual fee waiver for the first year of your card membership.
- Good for one-off purchases: Standard Chartered MANHATTAN offers higher returns for expensive one-off purchases.
- Low cash rebates if you fail to hit the minimum spending requirement: For instance, if your monthly spend is only at S$1,000 to S$2,000, you’ll only earn 1% cashback.
- Rebates are credited to your account quarterly: This refers to a period of 3 consecutive months.
- A quarterly cap of S$200: Even if you earn the maximum cash rebate of 3% per month, you will still lose at least S$70 cash rebates every quarter.
Key Benefits of the Standard Chartered MANHATTAN Credit Card
1. Straightforward Cashback Rewards
Unlike other cashback cards where they have separate rates for local spend and overseas spend, the Standard Chartered MANHATTAN allows you to earn cash rebates on all spend – both online and offline.
2. Diverse Range of Eligible Transactions
Cardholders can enjoy cash rebates on shopping, dining, or entertainment spending. Additionally, you can also earn cash rebates from online bill payments and educational service-related payments.
As long as you reach the minimum spend of S$3,000 in a month, you can enjoy 3% cashback.
3. Save up to 20% On Fuel
Standard Chartered and Caltex have an ongoing promotion until 31 December 2021. You can enjoy up to 20% savings on your monthly fuel purchase when you charge it on your MANHATTAN Mastercard.
4. Enjoy a one-year annual fee waiver
Cardholders can enjoy a waived annual fee for the first year. There’s no need to hit a minimum spend to claim this.
How Does Standard Chartered MANHATTAN Card Differ From Other Cards?
|Credit Card||Cashback Rewards||Annual Interest||Minimum Spend||Minimum Income Requirement|
|Standard Chartered MANHATTAN Credit Card||Up to 3% cashback on all eligible spend
Capped at S$200 per quarter
|Citi Cash Back Card+ Mastercard||1.6% cashback on eligible transactions
Unlimited cashback cap
|HSBC Visa Platinum Credit Card||5% cashback on Dining, Groceries, & Petrol
Cashback capped at S$250
|Citi Cash Back||Up to 8% cashback on dining, groceries, and petrol
Up to 20.88% savings from Shell & Esso
Cashback capped at S$80 per category per month
|Standard Chartered Unlimited Cashback Credit Card||Up to 1.5% cashback on eligible spend
Unlimited cashback cap
Our Verdict: What Makes It Stand Out?
The Standard Chartered MANHATTAN Mastercard is a great credit card that offers attractive cashback rewards with a diverse range of eligible online and in-person transactions. Cardholders don’t have to worry a lot about spending on certain categories to enjoy cash rebates. That said, it is a very attractive everyday card.
With a slightly higher min. spend requirement, the SC MANHATTAN Card is best for high spenders or for family breadwinners. So if you spend less than S$3,000, it’s best to consider other cashback cards.
For instance, if you spend mostly on groceries and petrol, you can consider the HSBC Visa Platinum Card that offers 5% cashback for a min. spending of only S$600.
Read more about the latest Credit Card Reviews:
Standard Chartered Unlimited Cashback Credit Card Reivew
HSBC Visa Platinum Credit Card Review
Fees and Charges for Standard Chartered MANHATTAN Credit Card
- Annual Fee: S$192.60 – annual fee waiver available for the first year
- Effective Interest Rate (EIR): 26.9% p.a.
- Late Payment Fee: S$100
- Cash Advance Fee: 6% with a minimum fee of S$15 plus Finance Charges at 0.082% per day
- Minimum Monthly Spend/Monthly Payment: S$50 or 1% of principal, whichever is higher
How To Apply
Minimum Age: Applicant’s age must be between 21 and 65 years old.
Minimum Annual Income:
- Singapore and Permanent Residents: S$30,000 for salaried employees; S$40 for self-employed and commission-based
- Foreigners: S$40,000
- Proof of Identification, such as Passport or Government ID
- Latest one month salary slip for salaried employees
- Latest IT returns with computation of income/ certified financials, last business continuity proof for self-employed businessmen
- Latest IT returns or business continuity proof for self-employed professionals
Once you’ve compared your options and decided that the Standard Chartered MANHATTAN World Card is right for you, you can apply for this card by heading down to the nearest Standard Chartered Bank branch.
Make sure to have all the documents ready and that you comply with the eligibility requirements for faster approval.
Who Should Get The Standard Chartered MANHATTAN Credit Card?
Standard Chartered MANHATTAN cardholders must hit the S$3,000 minimum monthly spend requirement to earn the 3% maximum cash rebate. That said, this cashback card is recommended for high spenders or for family breadwinners.
This card is particularly beneficial for those who frequently spend on shopping, dining, or entertainment. Aside from that, you can also enjoy fuel savings from their ongoing promotion.
Additionally, spending S$3,000 a month may also be possible if you’re going to buy a one-off expensive purchase or if you’re paying for rent or bills.
Ultimately, you need to take a look at your spending habits. If you’re a big spender, then you can maximize the rewards out of this card.
Additional Questions You May Still Have About the SC MANHATTAN Card
1. What Transactions Are Not Eligible for Earning Cashback on the MANHATTAN Platinum/World Mastercard Credit Card?
MANHATTAN Cashback is awarded only on retail transactions, excluding the following transactions:
- Any cash advance
- Any Credit Card Funds Transfer
- Any transactions that are canceled, voided, refunded, or reverse
- AXS, SAM, or ATM transactions are made using your MANHATTAN card.
- Any monthly installment of an EasyPay Transaction
- Any insurance premiums charged to your MANHATTAN CARD
- Any recurring payments or payments made to all billing organizations using Standard Chartered Online Banking or mobile app.
You can find the full list of exclusions here.
2. How Does the Quarterly Cashback Work?
Cashback is accumulated and credited to your credit card account over a 3-month quarter cycle. It is capped at S$200.
3. When Is the Cashback Awarded – On Transaction Date or Posting Date?
Cashback is awarded based on the posting date- when the transaction is posted to your account, usually within 2-3 working days.
Conclusion – Is Standard Chartered MANHATTAN Credit Card Right for You?
The Standard Chartered MANHATTAN Card offers cardholders the opportunity to earn high cashback rewards. What makes it stand out is that you don’t have to worry about categories since you can enjoy cash rebates on retail transactions. However, it is recommended for high spenders who can hit the S$3,000 minimum spend requirement.
- The MANHATTAN Card is great for high spenders or family breadwinners looking for attractive cashback rewards
- Cardholders can earn up to a 3% cashback with a min spend of S$3,000.
- Cash rebates are capped at S$200 per quarter.
What loan plan works best for you? Let Instant Loan save you hours of confusion. We are a one-stop loan comparison tool with the latest information about the top financial institutions in Singapore. Request up to three loan quotes today!