UOB UnionPay Card should appeal to travelers visiting China regularly. There, cardholders can receive up to 2% cash rebates on all purchases. Best of all, there is no minimum spend. Unfortunately, UnionPay is not as widely accepted in Singapore as Mastercard and Visa.
- Earn 2% cashback on all local and overseas spend
- No minimum spend is required to earn cash rebates
- 21.6% fuel savings at SPC petrol stations
- Plenty of shopping and dining privileges, especially in China
- Up to 10% discount at duty-free shops
How UOB UnionPay Card Works
UOB offers some of the best and feature-packed credit cards in Singapore. Among its lineup of rebates cards, this is the only one using the UnionPay card network.
1. UOB UnionPay Platinum Card Promotions for New Applicants
Like other banks, consumers can receive a cash rebate when applying for a new card. UOB UnionPay Card is no exception. From 15 November 2021 until the end of the year, applicants may receive up to S$200.
Notice that the promotional period ends on 31 December 2021. But that should not matter to new applicants in 2022. By then, UOB will either extend this promo or offer a new one.
Qualifying for cash credit is not as easy as it sounds. First of all, there are two stages – S$50 and S$150 to make S$200. And then, there are conditions for each part.
- S$50 Cashback (for new UOB UnionPay applicants). This offer is valid only for the first 200 applications. Cardholders also need to spend at least S$600 on eligible transactions before the promo ends.
- S$150 Cashback (only for new-to-UOB card applicants). Owners of other UOB cards do not qualify. As for those who are eligible, they have to be among the first 100 applicants. Also, they need to spend at least S$1,500 on eligible transactions within 30 days of the card approval date.
- Receive up to S$150 cash credit (for the first 100 successful UOB personal credit card applications) when you apply for a new credit card and spend at least S$1,500 within 30 days from the card approval date. T&C apply. Ends 30 Nov 2021.
2. UOB UnionPay Card Exclusive Offers
UOB UnionPay does not offer much except for these two better than average benefits.
- Cashback on All Spends. Shop in Singapore or anywhere else in the world that accepts UnionPay; you earn cash rebates. There is no need to track monthly purchases because there is no minimum spend required.
- Fuel Savings at Petrol Stations. SPC customers should love the money saved by charging fuel transactions to this card. The total discount UOB UnionPay cardholders receive is among the highest in Singapore.
3. UnionPay Credit Card Exclusive Offers
To date, UnionPay issued more than 7 billion cards, making it the world’s largest card network. As a cardholder, you can take advantage of these special offers and perks.
- UnionPay QuickPass. Singapore is a shopping mecca in Asia. Now, you can make contactless payments for purchases up to S$100 at any merchant with the QuickPass logo.
- Global Privileges. Get special offers on shopping, dining, entertainment, and accommodation worldwide. These perks are standard with the UOB UnionPay Card.
- Duty-free Shopping Discounts. Get up to 10% off on purchases at more than 100 duty-free shops around the world.
- Cashback. An advantage of using the UOB UnionPay Platinum Card is the 2% cash rebate. There is no need to track the least amount of money you need to spend to earn the rebates. Even more impressive is that you make the same rate in Singapore and overseas.
- Duty-free Discounts. Each time you step foot in one of over 100 duty-free shops worldwide, you can save up to 10%.
- Fuel Savings. UOB UnionPay Card is not only an excellent card for shopping and dining. It also provides substantial petrol savings. Fill up at any SPC station and get up to a 21.6% discount.
- Card Network Availability. No doubt UnionPay is the largest network in the world. But that is because it is a Chinese financial service. Outside of the country, it is not as widely accepted as the likes of Visa and Mastercard.
- New Application Cashback. S$200 total cash rebate for new card applications is good enough. But getting the total amount is another matter.
- Monthly Cap. For high spenders, the S$50 monthly cap on cashback is a bummer.
How UOB UnionPay Card Compares with Other Rebates Cards
|UOB UnionPay Card||CIMB Visa Infinite Card||Citi Cash Back Card||POSB Everyday Card||Standard Chartered Smart Credit Card|
|Interest Rate||26.90%||26.90%||26.90%||26.80%||23.90% to 29.90% depending on bank assessment|
|Minimum Annual Income Requirement||S$30,000 for Singaporean/Permanent Resident |
S$80,000 for foreigner
|S$120,000 for Singaporean/Permanent Resident||S$30,000 for Singaporean/Permanent Resident |
S$42,000 for foreigner
|S$30,000 for Singaporean/Permanent Resident |
S$45,000 for foreigner
|S$30,000 for Singaporean/Permanent Resident |
S$60,000 for foreigner
|Minimum Monthly Payment||3% or S$50, whichever is higher||3% or S$50, whichever is higher||1% plus 1% of any outstanding unbilled installment amounts plus interest charges plus late payment charge or S$50, whichever is higher||3% or S$50, whichever is higher||S$50 or 1% of principal/interest, fees and charges/overlimit amount/past due amount, whichever is higher|
|Cashback||2% on local and overseas spend||2% on travel, overseas spending, and online spend in foreign currency |
1% on all other spends
|Up to 8% on dining, groceries, petrol worldwide||Up to 8% on dining and online shopping at selected e-marketplaces||Up to 6% cashback on everyday spend|
|Minimum Spend||None||S$2,000 per month||S$800 per month||S$800 per month||None|
|Monthly Cap||S$50 per calendar month||None||S$80 per month||S$80 per month||N/A|
What We Think of UOB UnionPay Card
Is UOB UnionPay Card the best cashback card for you? It depends. Suppose you do not plan to travel to China. Or, even if you did, it would be a one-time occasion. In this case, then there are other cards that you should consider.
There are two primary reasons for this:
- UnionPay is not as widely accepted in Singapore as Visa and Mastercard. This card is only a great option if you frequently visit China.
- For local shopping, dining, and other spending, there are better cards. For example, Citi Cash Back Card and POSB Everyday Card provide up to 8% cash rebates. SCB Smart Credit Card, meanwhile, lets you earn up to 6%.
That is not to say that UOB UnionPay Card is flat-out inferior. One of its advantages is that you can earn rebates with no minimum spending. Before deciding to choose which card is best, do compare the other perks and benefits.
How to Apply for UOB UnionPay Platinum Card
Applying for UOB credit cards is easy compared to some other Singapore banks. For convenience, apply online with MyInfo. This way, you do not have to waste time filling up personal information and submitting documents like the latest billing proof.
Required identity and income documents:
1. Copy of current NRIC, Passport, or Employment Pass (front and back)
2. For salaried employees (fixed income earner):
- Copies of the previous 12 months CPF statement (Singaporean/PR); or
- Income Tax Notice of Assessment; or
- original computerized payslip
3. For self-employed individuals (variable income earner):
- Copy of latest Income Tax Notice of Assessment; or
- original computerized payslip
|Age||21 years and above|
|Minimum Income Criteria||S$30,000 and above per annum (Singaporean and PR) or, Fixed Deposit collateral at a minimum of S$10,000 |
S$80,000 and above per annum (Foreigner)
Latest 3 months of income document: payslip in Singapore Dollar currency with company letter certifying employment. For a full list, click here.
Fees and Other Charges
|Annual Card Fee||S$192.60 (principal card) |
S$96.30 (supplementary card)
|Annual Fee Waiver||1 year|
|Interest Rate on Payments||26.90%|
|Interest-Free Period||25 days|
|Interest on Cash Advance||28% (minimum charge of S$2.50)|
|Cash Advance Transaction Fee||8% or S$15 (whichever is higher)|
|Foreign Currency Transaction Fee||3.25%|
|Minimum Monthly Payment||3% or S$50 (whichever is higher)|
|Late Payment Fee||S$100|
|Lost/Stolen Card Liability||Limited to S$100|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. What is Unionpay Mobile QuickPass?
QuickPass is the contactless payment system of UnionPay. You can easily tap and pay anywhere in the world as long as the merchant has the QuickPass logo.
2. Is there a cashback cap with UOB UnionPay?
Yes, there is a cap. Each month, the most you can earn is S$50. Hence, each year, the maximum cash rebate this card gives you is S$600.
3. How much can I save at SPC stations?
The short answer is 21.6%.
UOB UnionPay Card fuel discounts are not one rate but a combination of discounts. For example, you would also need to have the SPC&U Card (10% discount). Together with card discount, UOB card offer, and UnionPay cashback, the total percentage is 21.6%.
4. What is UnionPay 24-Hr Concierge Service?
As a UOB cardholder, save this hotline: +65 6336 4506.
Concierge Service gives you the best lifestyle. When you need assistance on travel, shopping, entertainment, dining, and others, call and ask for the latest offers and promotions.
UOB UnionPay Card Is Best for Use in China
This review ascertained that UOB UnionPay Platinum Card could be your best card for travels to China. Other than that, the 2% cash rebates on local and overseas spending are better-than-average but not the best. SPC fuel savings, though, is excellent.
- No minimum spend is required to start earning 2% cash rebates on eligible local and overseas spending.
- Best card to use whenever visiting China, as it is widely accepted there.
- Huge savings at SPC station petrol purchases.
Carrying more than one card is normal. If you travel to China regularly, the UOB UnionPay card makes an excellent addition. But with several cards in your pocket, do take care of your finances.
While credit cards come at hefty conveniences, it is still good to have cash on hand. If you find yourself short of funds, especially in emergency situations, you can benefit from a low-interest loan with licensed moneylenders. But many options mean more confusion.
Instant Loan’s smart loan comparison tool lets you receive up to three loan quotations from the best lenders in Singapore, each tailor-fit to your exact need. Skip the lengthy review, and get your free quotes today!